Businesses have experienced immense profits after employing QuickBooks for their bookkeeping. The software increases the efficiency of the organizations by letting multiple users work on the same data at the same time. Using a multi-user network to connect workstations with the server computer saves a lot of time & effort. Unfortunately, the network can sometimes face issues like QuickBooks Desktop Error 6189 816 that block the user’s access to the company file. In case you are also struggling to open your company file due to this error in the software, continue reading this blog to explore the causes and appropriate solutions to this error.
Contact a QB support team at 1.855.738.2784 to troubleshoot QuickBooks-related issues.
About the error
You might run into this error while opening your company file in QuickBooks. The file has become inaccessible because some issues have developed in the multi-user network. The data in your company file is completely safe, and the multi-user network is at fault here. This fault can be due to misconfigured hosting settings or the failure of background QB processes. The company file will not open until the software’s error is fixed.
Recommended to read: QuickBooks Error 1603
The issues with multi-user network develop due to the following reasons in QuickBooks-
- The multi-user network will be directly impacted if the Database Server Manager struggles to run in your system or stops responding.
- The program files of QuickBooks got damaged due to a defective software installation.
- The Network descriptor file has been corrupted or missing from its default location.
Use these methods to fix the issues with the multi-user network-
Solution 1- Rename the Network descriptor file in the QuickBooks folder
The Network descriptor file is crucial to sustain the multi-user network successfully. If this file somehow gets damaged due to data corruption on the hard drive or a malware attack, the multi-user network will malfunction instantly. The issue can be fixed by renaming the file, you don’t need to worry about the data, as this file will be recreated whenever you open your company file again. Follow the steps below-
- Go to the QuickBooks folder and look for a file with extension .nd.
- Right-click on the file and tap on the Rename
- Add ‘.old’ as an extension to the file’s name.
- Save the file and retry opening your company file.
If the software is still unable to open the company file, use the next method.
Solution 2- Scan the QB folder using the Database Server Manager
The Database Server Manager can be used to scan files & folders to register them on the multi-user network. Follow the steps to run the DBSM to repair the issues with your multi-user network-
- Open the QuickBooks Tool hub and click on Network Issues.
- Select the option for QuickBooks Database Server Manager in the list.
- Choose the company file from the list or use the Browse
- Click on Start Scanand after the process is finished, click Close.
- Try to open your company file in QuickBooks.
The company file will now open without any issues.
This is the end of our blog that provides details of QuickBooks Desktop Error 6189 816. The probable triggers for this error and the practical solutions were also mentioned. We hope the error was resolved from your QuickBooks after using the methods.
Get your queries resolved by consulting a QB expert at 1.855.738.2784.
You may also read: QuickBooks Black and White Screen: Most Reliable and Effective Solutions