An alternative way to safely existing home or business offices in emergencies is an emergency escape ladder. This type of ladder plays a pivotal role for people who are trapped on the second floor or higher level of a building. Oftentimes, homeowners or businesses overlook the importance of these ladders. Until and unless they get a close encounter with that due to criminal inventions or house fire, they do not recognise its added safety contribution.
People often associate safety rope ladders with commercial buildings thinking that installing them is just compliance with building codes. However, what they miss greatly is that any uneventful emergencies might happen if they are not well-equipped to save their own lives and the lives of their family members.
Factors to consider while buying a safety rope ladder
Buying the best emergency rope ladder is as essential as deciding to install one. So, make sure you consider the following considerations before you purchase one:
- Length or height: It is important to enure that the ladder is long enough to help you get to the ground in emergencies. To ensure you have the right length, measure the height from the window to the ground where you want to install the ladder. It is best to do this on each window if you have multiple windows. It is because the height varies based on the window’s location.
- Width: Determining the width of the escape ladder is essential. Measure your base from the window where you will attach the ladder. For this, get the window’s inner width. It is important to remember that the wider the ladder, the safer and easier it is for a person to escape. Never overestimate the measurement of the ladder’s width.
- ASTM F2175 Fire Code Compliance: The American Society for Testing and Materials always rates whether or not an emergency escape is reliable. Therefore, always check for an ASTM approved label before buying any fire escape ladders.
- The convenience of application: Amidst an emergency, panic can get you. An escape ladder that is complex to operate might result in people getting trapped inside the house or a building. To avoid this, always see how the escape ladder works before buying. Always go for the ones that are easy to deploy.
- Reliability: To have an idea of the reliability and durability of fire escape ladders, it is advisable to read consumer reviews, especially if you are planning to purchase online.
These are some of the features you must consider while buying an emergency rope ladder.
Merely relying on the indoor stairs for exiting and not installing a fire escape ladder can result in deadly situations. What if the fire starts on the stairs? Where do you go next? Since jumping out of the window is a high risk, it becomes a do or die escape strategy. So always be smart and a step ahead in terms of home or office safety. If you have carefully considered the abovementioned factors, you are ready to purchase a fire escape. Though it might not be of everyday use, a fire escape will prepare you for facing any major emergencies. So get those fire escapes today.