There are instances when users need to move QuickBooks company file to a new computer. But, transferring company file to a new place is a difficult task. There could be several reasons to shift company file, like moving to a new computer, performance issues with the old computer, and many more. If you are also among those who want to shift the company file, then this blog would be of great help to you. So, read the blog carefully until the end.
Do you require assistance to move QuickBooks company file to a new computer? Call us on our toll-free number 1.855.738.2784 and communicate with the certified QuickBooks expert’s team
Detailed process to move QuickBooks company file to a new computer
- Download and install the new application on the new computer.
- Generate a backup file of QuickBooks:
- Open QuickBooks Desktop, select the File menu, and then select the Switch to Single-user mode option.
- Click the File menu again, choose Back up Company, and select Create Local Backup.
- Go to the window, choose Local Backup, and click Next.
- Under the Local Backup Only section, click Browse and choose a location to save the backup company file.
- Click OK and Save it now when you are ready to save the backup.
- Once done, save the backup file with a unique name so you can easily identify it.
- Now, save the backup file to an easily accessible location like your Windows desktop.
- After that, move the backup file to a new computer. You can also put the file on an external storage device or a flash drive.
- Move to the new computer and restore the backup using the steps given below:
- Start QuickBooks Desktop, click the File menu and select Open or Restore Company.
- Click Restore a backup copy, select Next, and choose Local Backup.
- Click Next, and find a backup company file on your computer with the .qbb extension.
- Choose a folder to save the restored file and then choose Open.
- Finally, click Save. Again, save the file with a unique name.
You may read also : Quickbooks Error 103
If you use payroll, download the latest tax table after moving the company file:
- In QuickBooks Desktop, select the Employees menu and choose Get Payroll Updates.
- Select the Download Entire Update checkbox and choose Download Latest Update.
- An informational window will pop up on the screen when the download completes.
Here is the guide to move the entire QuickBooks folder
- Open the QuickBooks Desktop application and then the company file you want to move.
- Go to the Product Info window and tap the F2 key.
- In the File Information section, look for the location of your company file.
- Click the Windows Start menu, open File Explorer and search for the folder containing the QuickBooks company file.
- Right-click the folder, choose Copy, and then open the external drive you use to move the files.
- Open a new location on the hard drive and click Paste.
It’s time to conclude our blog. We hope it helped you move QuickBooks company file to a new computer. If you still have any doubts, get in touch with the QuickBooks experts by giving a call on our toll-free number 1.855.738.2784.
You may read also : QuickBooks Error 3371