QuickBooks allows multiple users to work on the same company file in multi-user mode. For this, the user needs to run QuickBooks in multi-user mode and set up multi-user hosting. Any issue with hosting give rise to QuickBooks already has a company file open message while opening the company file. Also, QuickBooks does not allow users to access the files if the permissions are not set up correctly. Follow the complete blog to learn the root causes and detailed troubleshooting process to fix QuickBooks not loading company file error.
If you can’t get rid of QuickBooks already has a company file open error, get connected with the QuickBooks technical support team for assistance by calling us on our toll-free number 1.855.738.2784
Factors why QuickBooks says company file is in use?
Here are all such causes that trigger company file issues in QuickBooks:
- The same company file is already open in QuickBooks in single-user mode.
- Multi-user hosting is not set up correctly on the computer hosting the company file.
- Third-party applications installed on workstation stops QuickBooks’ background processes.
- QuickBooks Database Server Manager required to access the file from the server is not functioning properly.
Head to the troubleshooting section and implement the solutions to fix the company file issue in QuickBooks permanently.
Methods to Fix QuickBooks not loading company file error
Method 1. Close all instances of QBDBMgrn from the Task Manager
- Go to your desktop, right-click the Taskbar and open up Task Manager.
- Select the Processes or Details tab. From the Details tab, select the QBDBMgrn.exe and click End Process.
- Once done, follow the same process again.
Method 2. Keep QuickBooks up-to-date on the server and the workstation
- In QuickBooks, go to the Help menu and select the Update QuickBooks Desktop option.
- When you see the Update QuickBooks window, click the Update Now tab and checkmark all the features that need to be updated.
- Click the Get Updates button and wait till the update process completes.
- Once the download completes, restart the QuickBooks Desktop application and accept the prompt to install the update.
Method 3. Open Task Manager and restart QuickBooks services
- Right-click the Taskbar on your Windows Desktop and click Start Task Manager.
- Go to the Processes tab, find QuickBooksDBXX service and right-click it.
- Click End Process, then Yes to confirm, and open the QuickBooks Desktop application again.
- Try to open the company file again. If you still get the same error message, follow the next method.
Method 4. Reset permission for QuickBooks user
- Move to the workstation not getting the error, and open QuickBooks.
- Open the company file, go to the Users section and click View Users.
- Next, move to the Company section and select the Users tab.
- Click Set up Users and Roles, then New, and type the name of the new user.
- Click Add, go to the Roles section, and add a new role.
- Click the OK button to save it and close the window.
This article has covered all the important information that will help you fix the ‘QuickBooks already has a company file open’ error. If you are facing the same issue even after following the above solutions, contact the QuickBooks technical support team for guidance by calling us on our toll-free number 1.855.738.2784.
Recommended to read: QuickBooks Error OL 301