QuickBooks Payroll plays an essential role in the functioning of medium and small organizations. It helps save time by transferring salaries or paychecks into the bank accounts. However, it shows an error that says, “The update is now able to download due to the reason that downloaded file is corrupted.”
Windows Installer software that helps in installing & uninstalling programs, as well as the new updates related to the Operating System of Windows. Whenever this installer is corrupt or damaged, it troubles it while downloading updates. Likewise, while downloading QuickBooks updates and this Windows Installer is corrupted, this QuickBooks Error 15106 triggers.
In this segment, today we are going to discuss about one of the most common error i.e., QuickBooks payroll update error 15106. This error usually occurs due to a poor internet connection. In order to fix this issue keep an eye with this post till the end. Keep reading!
Also read: fix QuickBooks Error OL-203
What are the Main Causes of QuickBooks Error 15106?
Let’s find out the main reasons that trigger Error 15106 on the QuickBooks desktop.
- The user must have installed an antivirus named “Web Root” on their system, which detects the installer of QuickBooks as something which creates a threat & then it blocks the operations.
- If the QuickBooks installation does not install available additional components, which will help update payroll & the QuickBooks application in the future.
- The settings of Account Control of windows have been set on high, which then interferes with the QuickBooks’ updates.
- Unavailability of administrative rights with the user triggers QuickBooks Error 15106.
- Anti-malware programs or Antivirus interrupt the updates process of QuickBooks.
Solutions to Troubleshoot and Fix QuickBooks Error 15106
Usually, wherever there is a new Update, and a user tries to update on QuickBooks, the Error 15106 triggers. Here are a few solutions to fix this Error 15106:
Step 1: On your system, sign in with the Administrative Account
- To fix Error 15106, go to the Control Panel.
- Choose the family safety & user account and click on User Accounts.
- Now, click on Manage other accounts & enter the password(admin) if prompted.
- It will then show what type of account this is, i.e., an administrator account or not. Hence, If the version is an administrator one, then go on & follow the steps mentioned below.
- If this account is not administrative, then get your administrative rights from the IT administrator.
Step 2: Reset the Updates of QuickBooks
- Firstly, go to Update QuickBooks from the Help menu.
- Go to the options button and click on Mark all.
- Now, save this and go to the option “Update Now.”
- Tick the “Reset Updates Now” & select the “Get Updates” option.
- Still, if the issue is not resolved, go on to the following steps ahead.
Step 3: Next, Repair the Desktop Installation on QuickBooks.
- Open the “Run” window and enter the “appwiz.CPL”
- It will show a drop-down list that includes all the “Installed Programs.” Then go to the Change/Uninstall program and select QuickBooks.
- Select the Remove or Change option and go to “Next.”
- Confirm if the “Repair” button is checked & then click on Next.
- Select the “Repair” option for repairing the existing issue, i.e., Error 15106.
- Now, restart the system & open the Application of QuickBooks.
- It will show the window “QuickBooks has recently downloaded an update” click on Install.
Step 4: Delete “Webroot Spyware Sweeper”
- Open the Control Panel and go to Add or Remove Programs.
- Then click on “WebRoot” and select Remove or Uninstall.
- After uninstalling, go on “Next.”
- It is suggested to follow the instructions given on the screen for completely removing this Application.
- Restart the system & install the updates of QuickBooks.
- Lastly, if everything goes well & the error 15106 gets fixed, then just reinstall Webroot after updating QuickBooks.
Step 5: Rename the Update Folder of QuickBooks as Disabling your Antivirus
- Press the key Ctrl+Shift+Esc to open Task Manager
- Then right, click the antivirus services.
- Choose the “End Task” button & “Yes” to confirm.
- Open the installation folder of QuickBooks. Generally, it gets installed in the folder “C:\Program Files\Intuit\QuickBooks(year)\Components.”
- Now, right-click on the “downloadqb20” folder & rename it.
- Then put “OLD” in the end & then update the QuickBooks again.
Step 6: On windows settings, Disable the User Account Control
- Directly go to UAC while using Windows 10.
- If the user uses some other Windows, go to the Control Panel.
- Search UAC or User Account Control and go to settings.
- Then slide the slider to “Never Notify” and select Ok.
Step 7: Perform a clean install in safe mode
On the Safe Mode of Windows, reinstall the QuickBooks software through the tool “Clean Install”
This article summarises how users can Fix the QuickBooks Error 15106. We have tried covering every possible step and mentioning every potential steps to resolve this error. However, if you still have any questions related to this issue or any other related issue, the feel free to connect with us at 1-800-615-2347. Our QuickBooks certified professionals will be happy to assist you.